Pie Week for Pi Day


This coming Friday is March 14, which means it's a special holiday - Pi Day! If you aren't familiar with the holiday, it is a day devoted to celebrating the number pi. This constant, symbolized by the Greek letter Pi, represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It's been calculated to over one trillion digits beyond its decimal point without any repetition or pattern. Pi is approximated to 3.14, which explains why March 14 is the day to celebrate this unique number! 

I've always been quite the math nerd enthusiast. When I was younger and first learned about pi, my teacher told us that mathematicians were trying to determine if pi ever ended or repeated. I somehow got it in my head that I wanted to be the one to discover this, so I had a notebook and started doing long division. Yep, I was a dork...and also a little naive. I soon learned I probably couldn't do division faster than (or as long as) a computer and gave up on the pursuit. But, I still celebrate Pi Day every year with a delicious piece of pie! Thankfully my husband is a nerd too, so it works.

I haven't done a lot of pie in the past, but have tried a few recipes. Most of my sweet recipes tend to revolve around cakes and cupcakes, though I have done a few pie inspired cupcakes. This week I'll be sharing a couple new recipes, as well as some round-ups of ideas/recipes I (and others) have come up with. I'm even including a savory pie in the schedule. Here's the plan for the week:

Make sure and come back each day this week for another tasty treat, as well as some fun facts about pi! To kick things off, check out this page all about Pi Day. If you'd like to tweet out any of my ideas this week, make sure and include the hashtag #piday. There's already quite a few tweets with this out there and I can't wait to see how others are celebrating the day!

Popular Posts