Beignets for Mardi Gras
The mix couldn't be easier, like I said you just add water! If you can't find the mix, though, there are a tons of great recipes online, including this one from Southern Living. Whatever you use for the dough, the process should basically be the same. This is a special treat that would be perfect for your Mardi Gras celebration...or just because!
Here's how I made the beignets:
- Fill electric skillet (or dutch oven - that's what we used) with 1-2 in of vegetable oil; heat to 370F
- Mix together dough for beignets using a spoon
- Cover surface with plenty of flour (the dough is pretty sticky)
- Dump dough out onto floured surface and sprinkle more flour on top of dough
- Roll out to 1/8 in
- Cut out 2 in squares of dough
- Carefully place the dough in the oil with tongs
- Let the dough fry for about 45 secs to a min, and then flip over
- Once golden brown on both sides - remove and place on a few layers of paper towel to collect excess oil
- While piping hot, sprinkle on plenty of powdered sugar
Yum - these beignets were delicious! We made them Saturday night and woke up Sunday to icy roads. Since we were stuck inside, we enjoyed snacking on these for breakfast! Here's my recipe card, make sure and click on the recipe box along the top of the right hand sidebar to find the rest of my recipe cards!