I Dream of Ice Cream #2: Cake Batter Ice Cream


Occasionally I make something for the blog that as soon as I eat, I know I'm in trouble. No, the problem is not that it tastes bad. The problem is it tastes really scrumptious! As you may have deduced, I have a major sweet tooth. I try to eat in moderation, and while it may be that I'm posting all the time, I don't actually eat them all the time. Typically I'll just try a sample, and then share it with others. But, every so often, I make something that I can't resist devouring. That is the case with today's recipe.

I'm continuing with post #2 of my "I Dream of Ice Cream" series. I kicked things off, a couple weeks ago, with a delicious vanilla ice cream. It was my first time making homemade ice cream, so I wanted to start with the basics. But, from the moment I received my ice cream maker, I knew exactly what flavor I wanted to try to make - cake batter! When I was in college, I had Coldstone ice cream for the first time, I was instantly hooked. I like to call my favorite choice the "Unbaked Delight" - cake batter ice cream with cookie dough. Yum!


If you've read my blog lately, you know this recipe has been a couple weeks in the making... I kicked off my series and then had a major flop my second time out. My first attempt at this cake batter ice cream did not go well. But, this new (and much improved) recipe is amazing! It is very similar in ingredients to my vanilla ice cream, but the cake mix makes all the difference. I seriously had to stop myself from eating multiple scoops (I stopped at one). Good thing I had a healthy dinner and walked!

Below are the recipe and instructions for this frozen treat. If you'd like to share this recipe with a friend, you can share the post, or share my recipe card (found at the bottom). You may recall I've started an online recipe box, click on my "Recipes" box on the right sidebar to see all the recipe cards I've uploaded so far. Don't worry, more are coming!

Cake Batter Ice Cream ingredients:
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup white cake mix
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cake Batter Ice Cream directions:
  • Freeze ice cream bowl for at least 24 hours
  • Whisk milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved
  • Whisk in heavy cream 
  • Mix in vanilla

  • Mix in cake mix 
  • Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight
  • Mix with ice cream maker for around 20 mins
  • Put in container and freeze for a few hours

Enjoy! Follow me to keep with all my latest recipes and projects. 

Popular Posts