I Dream of Ice Cream #1: Very Vanilla


Today is National Ice Cream Day! What better way to celebrate than to kick off my new series, I Dream of Ice Cream? (Yes, I guess actually eating ice cream might be a little better...) Last month my in-laws got me a brand new, shiny ice cream maker! I was so excited to try it out, I started making a list of all the recipes to try. Then we were out of town and I started a new job, so things got busy. Finally, though, I have started using it and I LOVE it! I decided for the rest of the summer (and probably longer) I'm going to do a series of ice cream recipes. It may be a month into summer, but it has only recently begun to really feel like it. I don't know about where you live, but here it has just been plain HOT! So, let's beat the summer heat together and enjoy a tasty scoop of ice cream.

I have always loved ice cream. I grew up in a rural area, so I was an adult before I ever lived somewhere that an ice cream truck went by! But, that didn't stop me from enjoying some delicious, frozen dessert. One of my first favorite ice cream treats was the Push Up. Not only were they my favorite flavor orange, but also they had The Flintstones on them (my favorite cartoon)! After that, I moved on to Baskin Robbins cookie dough, ColdStone cake batter, and even Dippin' Dots! If you aren't much on ice cream but prefer gelato, yogurt, or custard - don't worry I hope to have something for you all too.

Now, I have somehow never made homemade ice cream in an ice cream maker before. I made it once in cans where you rolled them back and forth...it was fun when I was little, but this is so much easier! I decided to start with a simple vanilla. It may be plain, but it is extremely delicious! We bought some caramel sauce for it, but it was so flavorful and delicious, we didn't need any toppings. If you have an ice cream maker, I hope you try out this scrumptious recipe. If you don't have one, you should add it to your wish list!!


Very Vanilla Ice Cream ingredients:
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 tbs vanilla
Very Vanilla Ice Cream instructions:
  • Start by freezing the bowl for your ice cream (if it isn't already), 24 hours is recommended
  • Mix together the sugar, milk, vanilla, salt with whisk or hand mixer until sugar is dissolved
  • Cover bowl with two layers of plastic wrap (we put a rubber band around it to seal it

  • Refrigerate for a couple hours 
  • Pour mixture into ice cream maker

  • Follow the instructions for your maker to make the ice cream, ours needed about 18 minutes
  • Scoop into bowl and cover

  • Freeze for a few hours
Hope you enjoyed this frozen treat recipe! Be sure to follow me to keep up with future I Dream of Ice Cream posts!

Popular Posts