Something Savory #7


Today I'm sharing another savory recipe! I usually try to share a new post in my Something Savory series once a month, but I'm back for a second recipe this month. A couple weeks ago, I shared a copycat recipe for The Cheesecake Factory's Cajun Jambalaya Pasta. Today, I'm going in a totally different direction - fried chicken!

I grew up in the South, fried chicken was a staple at church functions and family dinners. There are many different ways to make fried chicken, but my mom's way is definitely my favorite. I prefer her chicken to that certain KY chain restaurant. My mom's always makes her chicken in an electric skillet. I haven't tried to make it that way, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be as good as her. My husband and I, though, decided to try our attempt at deep frying chicken.

As with many of my savory recipes, we were inspired by Food Network. (Who says watching TV is a waste?) We watch a ton of Food Network and always learn a lot! Last Saturday, we happened to catch Tyler Florence on the Barefoot Contessa. Among several things, he was making some deep fried chicken. It was dredged in a spicy flour mixture, and just looked so good! It looked so delicious we decided it was finally time to buy a dutch oven and try our hand at deep frying. We bought a cast iron dutch oven, it worked great!





We made a somewhat simpler recipe, not adding herbs to the oil. But we added spices to the flour, and hot sauce to the buttermilk. The chicken was golden brown, crispy, and full of flavor! We paired the chicken with some rice, and some Franks hot sauce to dip the chicken in. The dinner was delicious, we will definitely be having it again. The chicken wasn't too spicy on its own, but all the spices in the flour mixture imparted some great flavor.

Spicy Fried Chicken ingredients:
  • Chicken tenders, or pieces of chicken cut up (3-4 lbs)
  • Kosher salt
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tbs garlic powder
  • 2 tbs onion powder
  • 2 tbs paprika
  • 2 tsp cayenne
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 qt buttermilk
  • 2 tbs hot chili sauce (Srirachi was recommended, but we used Franks Hot Sauce)
  • Peanut oil, for frying
Spicy Fried Chicken instructions:
  • Fill 5 qt dutch oven with around 3 inches of oil 
  • Heat oil to 350-365F
  • Mix together garlic powder, onion power, cayenne, paprika, and flour
  • Season mixture with generous amounts of salt and pepper
  • Mix Franks red hot sauce in with buttermilk
  • Season buttermilk mixture with generous amounts of salt and pepper
  • Dredge chicken in flour mixture
  • Soak the chicken in buttermilk
  • Finally, dredge chicken in flour mixture one last time
  •  Place in oil and cook for around 7 mins (these were thin chicken tenders)
  • Use a small strainer to get chicken out of oil
  •  Pat chicken dry and enjoy! We used extra Franks sauce to dip the chicken in.

Yum! I'm hungry for them again after reading this post! 

I'm excited about a new party I'm planning on hosting here this fall. My husband and I are hoping to go to an apple orchard soon to pick some apples. So you know what that means???!! Lots of delicious apple recipes will be shared soon! I'm hoping to do a whole week devoted to apple recipes, crafts, projects, and more! You may recall I did a chevron themed week-long party a few weeks ago. This one will be great for any food bloggers, though. I'll even have a chance for you to share your favorite apple recipes! Follow my blog, or follow me on social media, to keep up with the latest updates.

Popular Posts