Something Savory #3


Welcome to the May edition of my Something Savory series. For anyone just now visiting, I normally blog about sweet treats and cake decor. But, I started a monthly savory recipe series to challenge myself to experiment and share ideas for savory dishes. To recap, I have shared easy (and delicious) Chicken Pockets and a potluck friendly Chinese Coleslaw. Today I am sharing a tasty meal perfect for summer - hamburger and potato flanks. This meal is full of flavor and great for an hot summer evening with friends.

For this post, I took a step back and was simply the photographer and writer, my husband was doing the real work. While I love baking, my husband is probably the better cook of the house. He has been wanting to try out a couple recipes, and this past Sunday evening was the perfect time to do it. As I have mentioned a couple...ok several times, my husband and I love watching Food Network! Both of today's recipes come from two of our favorite Food Network chefs - Bobby Flay and Guy Fieri.


My husband did a fantastic job on this meal - the flavors were spot on. The Bobby Flay recommended hamburger was simple, yet delicious and flavorful. The potato flanks, inspired by Guy Fieri, were a great twist on potato chips - we will definitely be making them again!

First up, are Bobby's Flays tasty burgers. Now obviously Bobby Flay has some great burger recipes, I mean he has a restaurant chain devoted to burgers. My husband decided to start by using one of Bobby's basic recipes. It was simple and easy, but so delicious!

Burger ingredients:
  • Ground sirloin (we used 90/10, we were looking for 80/20 ground chuck but they were out)
  • Morton coarse Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • Burger buns
  • Any condiments or other items to top burgers with - onions, bacon, ketchup, barbecue sauce
Burger instructions:
  • Get two skillets out and ready to use on the stove top
  • Preheat the burger skillet with oil to medium-high heat (we used a cast iron skillet)
  • Shape ground beef into 3/4 inch thick patties with a small indentation in the center (this keeps the burger from doming up)
  • Season with ample salt and pepper
  • Place burger into preheated skillet and cook for approximately 4 minutes
  • Flip burger and cook for an additional 4 minutes
  • Check temperature of meat using a meat thermometer to get the burgers the way you want (we cooked a little longer to get to medium well)
  • Heat up a small skillet and lightly toast both the top and bottom of the bun (about 30 secs each)
  • Add condiments and enjoy! We fried some bacon for the burgers and then added different condiments - I went bacon, onion, and barbecue and my husband chose ketchup, cheddar cheese, and bacon.

To compliment the burger, we decided to make some potato flanks we saw on Guy Fieri's show Guy's Big Bite. We made a few changes using ground red pepper and seasoned salt instead of paprika. Guy Fieri recommended cutting them length wise for longer flanks, but we cut them like chips using a mandolin.

Potato Flank ingredients:
  • 3 Russet potatoes
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Pepper (to taste)
  • Ground red pepper
  • Morton Seasoned Salt
Potato Flank instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 375F with baking sheet in the oven
  • Run potato over water and scrub off to clean
  • Cut the potatoes to around 1/4 inch thick using a mandolin
  •  Soak in cold water for 20 mins (this removes the starch and allows them to crisp up more)
  • Pat potatoes dry
  • Mix together olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a medium sized bowl
  • Place potatoes down in olive oil mixture and get them covered
  • Take sheet out of oven (using oven mitt) and carefully line up potato slices on it - making sure the potatoes do not touch
  • Season with seasoned salt and ground red pepper (or Guy's seasonings of salt, pepper, and paprika)
  • Cook for 10 mins
  • Remove and flip the potatoes over
  • Season the other side 
            • Cook for an additional 10 mins
            • Place potatoes on cooling rack or serve out of oven
            Thanks for checking this out, you will definitely want to try these recipes!

            Check back tomorrow as I am kicking off Cinco de Mayo early with a delicious Tres Leches cake!  

            If you missed any of my posts this week, I shared a tutorial for a sea turtle themed smash cake and Derby inspired cupcakes! Don't forget to follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get updates for new posts.  I also share my creations on Instagram, usually before posting on the blog.

            Popular Posts