Something Savory #1


Change is coming to my blog and to blog readers in general. First, the change that's coming to Sarah Lynn's Sweets.  I am so thrilled with all my new followers! I have recently started networking with bloggers a lot more and am excited to start seeing results.  I've seen my social media followers double and my number of views almost triple! I'm ready to bring a couple changes to the site for the benefit of all my readers.  As you may have noticed on my (new) link bar, I now have an "Advertise" tab.  I really want to find ways to help us help each other in growing our readership. Through button swapping, guest posts, and ads, there is something for you to grow your blog or shop. I'm very excited about the guest posting, I'm hoping it will help with my new monthly feature I am starting.

My New Feature, Something Savory


I really want to provide the readers with some savory dishes, but I need your help!  Not only do I think having a fresh voice and perspective every once and a while can be beneficial for readers, but I also need help finding creative and delicious recipes.  While I feel confident in sweet treats, I'm not as confident in savory dishes. So check out my Advertise tab and email me if you would like to submit a savory guest post.

I'm kicking things off with my first Something Savory entry with an easy and delicious twist on chicken and pasta.  But first, let me address another change coming this summer to the blog world.  

Goodbye Google Reader!

If you haven't heard, Google has announced they are shutting down Google Reader as of July 1.  No definite word on Google Friend Connect, but the reader is for sure going away.  If you are like me, I follow a lot of blogs through Google Reader.  I was wondering if I was going to have to go through the blogs one by one and find a new way to follow, but then I found a great shortcut!  

I haven't previously utilized bloglovin, another popular blog reader.  I hadn't followed many blogs that way, and I didn't even have it on my blog as a way to follow.  But, bloglovin is making it SUPER easy to seamlessly transfer all your Google Reader blogs over to their site and follow that way.  So, before it is too late, make sure and switch your blogs over. I also have a button now to add my blog to a bloglovin.

To switch over your blogs, follow these simple steps:
  • Go to bloglovin website
  • Create an account (if you don't have one)
  • Click on like (shown below) to import Google Reader blogs
  • Enjoy catching up on your blogs!

Now...to the inaugural Something Savory post!

Something Savory #1



A few weeks ago I was planning on fixing penne marinara, but decided I wanted to do something a slightly different. I seem to make some version of marinara and pasta a LOT. Usually I don't include meat in the spaghetti. My husband likes it, but I'm not a big fan of hamburger in my marinara sauce. But, we both enjoy the chicken/marinara sauce combo, so I thought of a way to incorporate that in. I also wanted to include some sort of bread - which is always a must for a pasta dish!

The idea came from a similar type recipe I had found on Pinterest, the pizza rolls. You may have seen it, as it is all over Pinterest. It is a cheese and pepperoni stuffed Pillsbury biscuit, baked with Italian seasonings. Not the healthiest meal, as you want to keep eating them, but it was definitely delicious! That recipe had also inspired the apple stuffed biscuits I made a few months ago. Since we liked both so well, I started thinking about other applications for this idea and the chicken pocket idea was created.

My creation is a chicken pocket - a chicken/cheese stuffed biscuit with italian seasonings. This biscuit was a great compliment to the pasta and tasted delicious dipped in extra marinara sauce. We will definitely be trying this again!

Chicken Pocket Ingredients (makes 5 pockets):
  • 5 count can of Pillsbury Grands Biscuits (this work best as they are bigger and can have more stuffing) 
  • 15 cut up pieces of cooked chicken (around 1/2 in size pieces) 
  • Mozzarella cheese 
  • Italian Seasoning 
  • Any extra toppings you want (we used mozzarella on top as well, but you could use parmesan) 
  • Small amount butter/margarine 
Chicken Pocket Instructions:
  • Cook chicken and cut into pieces, or saute frozen precooked chicken pieces 
  • Roll out biscuit dough in all directions, should look like pancakes
  • Place on cookie sheet
  • Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on each biscuit
  • Add Italian seasoning 
  • Add about three sections of chicken to each biscuit (more if they are smaller pieces
  • Sprinkle with a pinch of salt if it wasn't added to chicken when cooking
  • Pull up the sides of the biscuits and pinch together to close up, placing back on cookie sheet with pinched side down
  • Cover with a small amount of melted butter 
  • Add any toppings desired to the top of the biscuit (more Italian seasoning, cheese, etc)
  • Bake per directions on biscuit can while you prepare pasta
  • Make sure you cook extra marinara sauce to dip the chicken pocket in!

Hope you enjoy my savory post!  Don't worry, I'll be back to sweet posts very soon - I'm baking SIXTY cupcakes and a smash cake tomorrow! Check back soon for a post about these treats.



Popular Posts