Valentine's Day Calzones


It's Day 3 of my week long Valentine's Day party. If you missed it, I shared a round-up of my favorite chocolate recipes on Sunday. Yesterday, I shared an adorable (and sweet) scone recipe for Valentine's Day. Today, I'm switching gears and sharing a savory dish, but it is still perfect for the holiday.

They say the way to a guy's heart is through his stomach. Well, in our house my husband actually cooks more than me! I bake a lot, but my husband loves cooking savory dishes. Our favorite thing, though, is to cook together. I decided it would be fun to celebrate Valentine's Day early by making a festive new dish. I wanted to make something heart shaped, and decided calzones would be perfect. My husband loves pizza, so much that he even has his own small pizza oven. I figured calzones would be right up his alley. You may recall we recently made another pizza themed dish, Pizza Potato Skins.

The calzones were simple to make, and they tasted SO delicious! We used his go to pizza dough recipe, along with our favorite pizza toppings and seasonings. This dough is so easy, you don't even have to let it rise.

This dish would be perfect to make with your significant other, or even with your kids!

Heart Calzone ingredients (yields 6 small calzones):
  • 1 3/4 - 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 envelope Fleischmann's Pizza Yeast
  • 1 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup warm water (120F - 130F)
  • 3 tbs oil
  • Pizza sauce
  • Pizza toppings: onion, bacon, sausage, pepperoni, red pepper flakes, etc
  • 1 tbs melted butter
  • Italian seasoning
  • Garlic powder
Heart Calzone instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 425F
  • Mix together 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl
  • Add water and oil, mix until well blended (about 1 min)
  • Gradually add remaining flour until soft dough is formed (should be sticky)
  • Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic
  • Roll out to approximately 1/8 in
  • Cut out 12 hearts
  • Place hearts on parchment paper covered cookie sheet
  • Top with pizza sauce and toppings. My husband filled his with pepperonis and mozzarella cheese, mine was filled with my favorite pizza sauce, bacon, onions, and red pepper flakes.
  • Cover with other heart dough
  • Seal edges together with a fork
  • Melt butter and brush on top
  • Cover with garlic powder and italian seasoning
  • Bake 12 mins at 425F and then switch to broil for 2-3 mins

Make sure and check back tomorrow, I'm sharing some great treats to make for your kids! In the mean time, here is the recipe card. Feel free to share, print, or save.




Popular Posts