Pizza Potato Skins


When I was younger, I was obsessed with barbecue sauce. I basically wanted to put it on everything I ate, it was my condiment of choice. One of the things I got teased about from my family was barbecue sauce on my baked potatoes. Now, maybe that sounds weird to you...but I promise it's actually good! In fact, now you can find recipes for and restaurants that serve that exact combination. Maybe I wasn't so crazy after all! 

Today I'm sharing a potato dish with another unusual sauce. Earlier this week, we made a treat that was a combination of my husband's two favorite foods - potatoes and pizza! We were looking through my favorite cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays. My husband was drooling just looking at the pizza potato skins. He could not wait to try this recipe out.

I love potato skins, but I've only had traditional ones. The combination of the potato with the pizza flavors, though, was delicious! This dish can be customized to your favorite pizza flavors. My husband typically eats traditional pepperoni pizza, but my go to flavor is bacon and onion. Both were easily replicated in potato skin form, and tasted amazing. 

Here's how I made them -

Pizza Potato Skin ingredients:
  • Canola oil
  • Potatoes
  • Cheese
  • Pizza sauce
  • Toppings - red pepper flakes, bacon bits, chopped pepperoni, onion, etc
Pizza Potato Skins:
  • Preheat oven to 400F
  • Cover potatoes in canola oil and Kosher salt
  • Bake potatoes 45 mins
  • Once the've cooled to touch, cut the potato in half


  • Scoop out most of the potato - just leave a bit in the skin 


  • Brush inside of potato with butter - bake 4 mins
  • Flip over and brush butter on outside - bake an additional 4 mins
  • Brush on a small amount of pizza sauce on the potato
  • Sprinkle on mozzarella cheese

  • Top with your favorite pizza toppings - pepperoni, bacon, red pepper flakes, sausage, etc


Popular Posts