I Heart Scones


It's Day 2 of my Valentine's Day week long blog party. Today I have a special treat, perfect for breakfast, or dessert, with a loved one! 

I absolutely love scones. It's practically impossible for me to order a drink at Starbucks, or Panera, without grabbing a scone as well. My flavor of choice? Cinnamon chip! I love the cinnamon spice and delicious flavors packed in the tasty treat. For some reason, though, I've never attempted to make scones before. Something about it always intimidated me. This weekend I ended up deciding to try the Pioneer Woman's scone recipe (I know what a surprise). Usually I try to experiment and change up recipes, but I actually followed the recipe exactly since I've never made them before. I had thought about adding a glaze to the top, but once I tried it I realized they were perfect the way they were!

As if these delicious scones weren't sweet enough, I added a cute Valentine's Day touch. Scones are typically triangle shaped, but I decided to break tradition and made them heart shaped! They were easy to make with a cookie cutter, even though the one I had wasn't very thick. If I do say so myself, I think these scones are adorable! They are as sweet to look at as they are to eat!

The scones were simple to make, but it does take a while to work the dough. It's really crumbly and we didn't think there was any way they would stick together. But, we just keep working the dough, it held up well after a while. The only other issue we had was finding the cinnamon chips! I'd never even noticed them before, but they were supposed to be in the baking aisle. We checked and there were none to be found. Thankfully, just as we were about to leave, we noticed a Hershey's display that had some there. I was beginning to think we weren't going to be able to make them! I've never used cinnamon chips before, but they were delicious.


 Cinnamon Chip Scone ingredients:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 5 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 sticks (1 cup) butter
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup cinnamon chips
  • Topping:
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 1 1/2 tsp heavy cream
Cinnamon Chip Scone directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • Mix together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon)
  • Cut cold butter into small pats
  • Incorporate butter into flour mixture using pastry cutter, mix until it appears like course crumbs
  • Mix wet ingredients (heavy cream, egg, vanilla)
  •  Stir cinnamon chips in with flour mixture
  •  Gently stir in liquid mixture into flour mixture with fork
  • Carefully dump ingredients onto floured surface (it will be very crumbly)
  • Pack it together with hands, forming a circular shape (keep packing it and working it until it is holding together and not crumbling apart)
  • Roll down to 1/2 in thick
  • Mix topping ingredients together
  • Press topping onto top of the scone dough
  • Cut out scones with cookie cutters and place on parchment covered cookie sheet
  • Bake 20-25 mins

Below is the recipe card for the cinnamon chip scones. Make sure and check back all week for more ideas for Valentine's Day! Tomorrow I have a savory dish, perfect for kids and adults.


Popular Posts