Looking through her cookbook, I was immediately drawn to her spicy whiskey BBQ sliders. They sounded like something my husband and I would absolutely love! We made them on New Years Day, along with her crash potatoes. The meal was amazing!! We will definitely be making the sliders again...and again.
We did make a couple small changes. My husband sadly hates onions. No matter how finely chopped they are, he will somehow find them. (Trust me I've tried!) The sauce had cooked chopped onion pieces in it, so we left them out. I added a slice of onion to my slider, so I still got that flavor.
The recipe doesn't specify what kind of whiskey is used. I know Jack Daniels is popular in BBQ sauces. My husband and I don't drink whiskey, so we don't know a lot about the different types. But we decided to try Makers Mark bourbon. I mean after all, we are from KY! :)
Spicy Whiskey BBQ Slider ingredients (yields 6 sliders):
- 1 lb hamburger meat
- 4 tbs butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup jarred jalapeno pepper slices
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1 cup bbq sauce (online it says 1 cup, her book says 2 cups - I'd do it to your taste)
- 6 slider buns
- Form 6 small patties from hamburger meat
- Salt and pepper both sides of the patties
- Melt butter in skillet and cook burgers completely through, about 3 mins per side
- Take off of heat and wrap up in aluminum foil to keep warm
- Drain off all but about 2 tbs of grease
- Pour in whiskey (careful if using gas oven - remove from burner while pouring in just to be safe)
- Mix in jalapeno slices and BBQ sauce
- Place patties in BBQ mixture and heat on both sides to fully cover with sauce
- Place burger on slider buns and spoon on more sauce/jalapenos
Check back soon to find out the recipe for the delicious crash hot potatoes.