Something Savory #10
I don't know about you, but I love quick and easy meals I can throw together. During the week, you probably aren't going to find us making steak and baked potatoes for dinner. By the time my husband and I get home from work, we are tired and hungry! Simple dishes that can be quickly thrown together definitely keep us from being tempted to go out to eat...well at least most nights.
That being said, sometimes there are dishes where you just can't substitute some prep work and complexity, at least not while still getting the desired level of taste! Today's beef and veggie stir fry dish is one of those that requires some prep work - but trust me, it is definitely worth the effort! The recipe is broken down into two sections: steps for the night before cooking, and work for the night you are eating.
My husband and I love all kinda of stir fry, but this is definitely one of our new favorites!
We've made stir fry before, but never marinated the meat for very long. Letting the beef marinate overnight makes all the difference! The marinade is a delicious blend of ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, and a few other ingredients.
Another thing to prep the night before is the rice for the fried rice. Chilled rice works so much better when frying, so we cooked it the night before and let it chill. It's so easy to cook with our rice cooker, it's definitely one of our favorite kitchen appliances!
Beef Stif Fry ingredients:
- 1 lb thin sliced sirloin beef
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 small onion
- 3 cups cooked Jasmine rice (or Basmati)
- 2 tbs butter
- Fried rice packet
- 2 tsp soy sauce (or amount called for on fried rice packet)
- 2 eggs (optional - we left it out of our dish)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbs brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
Beef Stir Fry instructions:
Night before -
- Freeze beef for 4 or 5 hours
- Cook white rice in rice cooker per directions
- Mix together water, soy sauce, and ginger
- Add in garlic cloves
- Whisk in brown sugar
- Slice beef into thin strips
- Place marinade in Ziploc bag and place beef in marinade.
- Remove air from ziploc bag and seal, place in another bag and seal
- Freeze overnight
Day of -
- Heat 2 tbs butter in skillet on medium heat
- Stir fry rice for 5 mins
- Add stir fry seasoning packet and soy sauce, stir fry for 1 min
- If you'd like to add egg, add egg to one side and scramble, mix the egg in the rice
- Set rice off to the side (remove if using same pan)
- Remove portions of beef at a time, draining the sauce, and place in pan (don't overcrowd the pan)
- Stir fry on medium high heat until cooked through
- Remove beef and stir fry veggies on medium heat 4-5 mins
- Place beef back in pan with veggies
- Pour marinade over beef and veggies
- Cook on medium heat for 4-5 mins, you want to make sure you cook long enough since you are putting the marinade back in that the raw meat had been in
Make sure and check out my other savory recipes!