Hibachi Steak and Veggies
My husband and I love hibachi, it's one of our favorite meals! In our old town, we had the perfect Hibachi date night spot, we really miss it. There's a spot in our current town, but it's not the same. Plus, hibachi can be pretty expensive! So we decided to try our hand at making it ourselves.
To say our expectations were high is an understatement. But, we were really pleased with the results! We might not have had any fancy knife work, the food was surprisingly close to what we were used to! We even had an onion volcano...sort of. I didn't light it on fire, but couldn't keep from building on of the infamous tricks from hibachi restaurants.
You may recall we recently made some tasty beef and broccoli stir fry. We basically followed the same method for the rice. Instead of a marinade for the beef, though, we just used some teriyaki sauce. The veggies were cooked in a little butter and seasoned with soy sauce and a small amount of garlic powder. We kind of experimented with the amount of seasoning, but it tasted just like the ones at the restaurant!
Now all we need is the soup and salad dressing recipes, and we'd be set! Let me know if you've tried either of those hibachi staples and have a recipe you'd like to share.
Here's the recipe we loosely followed for the dinner.
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 zucchini
- 2 7-oz steaks
- 4 cups white rice
- Teriyaki sauce
- 4 tsp soy sauce (2 tsp for rice, 2 tsp for veggies)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- Vegetable oil
- Fried rice sauce packet
- Sesame oil
- Cook white rice and refrigerate until cold
- Prepare a pan with some vegetable oil and a couple drops of sesame oil on medium heat
- Cook rice in the pan on medium heat for a few mins
- Add 2 tsp soy sauce and a packet of fried rice seasoning, cook for another couple mins
- Cover rice and set aside
- Slice up onion and zucchini into around 1.5 in slices
- Prepare a pan with butter and a couple drops of sesame oil on medium heat
- Stir fry onion and zucchini for several mins
- Add 2 tsp of soy sauce and 1/4 tsp of garlic powder and cook for several more mins
- Prepare pan with butter and a few drops of sesame oil over medium high heat
- Season steak with salt and pepper and place in pan and season the other side
- Sear both sides for 1.5-2 mins
- Place steaks on cutting board and let rest for a few mins before cubing steak
- Cook steaks for several more mins, season with a few squirts of soy sauce
- Cook until you reach the desired temperature
- Combine all the pieces together and enjoy!