Blue & White Cookies


We are nearing the end of March Madness, and my alma mater (University of KY) is in the Final Four! Now I'm not usually much of a sports fan, but the tournament has peaked my interest this year. My husband is an avid UK basketball fan, so we've been watching the games. The KY Cats were ranked #1 during pre-season, but hadn't really lived up to the hype until tournament time. They've beaten some top teams and are now just one game away from being in the Championship!

My husband and I lived in Lexington for years and were surrounded by the fans, dubbed the Big Blue Nation. There were Big Blue celebrations everywhere you looked during game time. Now, though, we live in a different college basketball town where UK isn't well liked. Trust me that doesn't stop my husband from sporting his blue and white! Since we aren't surrounded by Wildcat fans, we have to make our own celebrations. I decided to get creative and make a festive snack for us to enjoy during the game. You may recall I've made a basketball court themed cake before, and a basketball shaped cake. But, I decided to make something a bit simpler for the game. Since our team's colors are blue and white, I figured I'd try my hand at a blue velvet cookie with white chocolate chips. 

I should probably confess something before I share the recipe. This was not my first attempt at the cookies. Last weekend, when the Cats took on Michigan, I attempted my first batch. They turned out...well not very good. The taste wasn't bad, but the cookies were a strange grayish color. Thankfully, though, the Cats were victorious and I got another shot at the cookies. This time went better! True they aren't exactly royal blue, but the idea is there! The trick was the recipe I used, and using royal blue food gel, instead of liquid food coloring.

If you are not a UK fan, don't worry! These cookies work for more than just celebrating KY Wildcat basketball. Whether its for another sports team, a kid's favorite color, or for Autism Awareness Month, there are so many great excuses to make blue velvet cookies!

Blue and White Cookies (yields 36 cookies):

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 stick lightly salted butter
  • 6 tbsp vegetable shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • White chocolate chips
  • Blue gel coloring
Blue and White Cookie instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 375F
  • In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and baking soda
  • Cream butter, shortening, and sugar for 5 mins until it is smooth and creamy
  • Add in the egg, egg yolk, vinegar, and vanilla
  • Beat for 3-5 mins, until creamy
  • Add in royal blue flavoring
  • Add in the dry mixture, mix until just combined
  • Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper
  • Form tbs size balls of dough
  • Place 4 or 5 white chocolate chips onto dough
  • Bake 11 mins


Here's hoping the Cats pull off this win and I have an excuse to try another treat!

Popular Posts