If you've stopped by my blog this week, you've seen me share some delicious Bobby Flay recipes. Last weekend my husband and I made some burgers we previously had at Bobby's Burger Palace. To complete the meal, we made his Southwestern fries we had eaten at another restaurant of his - Mesa Grill. The fries are seasoned with Kosher salt and spicy Ancho chile. If you know much about Bobby Flay, you know he uses a lot of Ancho chile!
Not only are the fries deliciously spiced, but they are also perfectly crispy. The trick is to soak them in water for a while to remove some of the starch, and also to double fry them! These are the best fries we've made so far, I love the kick from the ancho chile.
Here's how we made the fries.
- 2 tbs ancho chile powder
- 1 tbs Kosher salt
- 5 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 qt vegetable oil
Ancho Chile Fries instructions:
- Cut potatoes into 1/4 in thick slices and cut those into 1/4 in thick fries
- Place fries in a bowl of cold water
- Mix Kosher salt and ancho chile powder
- Heat oil in a large skillet to 325F
- Drain fries on paper towels
- Fry batches for 3-4 mins, until a pale blonde color
- Remove fries and place on a paper towel lined sheet pan
- Increase heat of oil to 375F
- Fry potatoes again for around 2-3 mins, until golden brown
- Remove and place fries on paper towels
- Season with chile mixture