DIY Recipe Box Makeover


The focus of my blog has always been recipes - particularly sweet recipes. I've enjoyed experimenting though and getting involved in other types of projects as well. One thing that I've done is start doing a little crafting. I've made many kitchen themed DIY projects including a no-sew apron, foodie themed coasters, and a tablet/smartphone holder out of a cutting board. This past weekend I made another project, I did a makeover of a recipe box.

You may recall, I recently made a template in PicMonkey for recipe cards. I have started incorporating these into recipe posts, I love the idea of having a card that you can print out or share online. If you haven't noticed these before, you can find the recipe cards on the individual post, or in my virtual recipe box. Just click the recipe box on the left side of the blog (the pic of the box is shown below).



Here's an example of one of my recipe cards:


The other point of making the cards was that I wanted to have physical cards I could put in a box and keep. This will make it easier for when I want to use one of my recipes, plus I love the idea of passing down family recipe cards some day. So I decided to print out these cards. Eventually I want to get them printed a little nicer, and on better paper, but I just did a quick print for now.

I had an old recipe box that was kind of dated in style, it was just something I picked up at a dollar store. I wanted to give it a face lift and found some adorable cupcake themed paper at a local craft store. Like with so many of my projects, I decided to use Mod Podge to makeover the recipe box. By the way I am kicking myself for not taking a "before" picture of the box!

Here's how I did a quick and easy makeover of the box!

Recipe Box Makeover tools:
  • Recipe box
  • Mod Podge
  • Paint brush
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Craft tape
  • Scissors

Recipe Box Makeover instructions:
  • Cut out 5 pieces of scrapbook paper (I only needed one sheet), you will need pieces for all four sides and for the top of the lid. Just use the box as a guide for the sizing.
  • Cover one side of the recipe box with a layer of Mod Podge
  • Place the scrapbook paper on the box and cover with another layer of ModgePodge
  • Repeat for all sides and the lid. Note: After two sides, you will need to wait and let it dry before doing the other two sides.
  • Cover the side of the lid with your favorite craft tape.

This makeover is SO easy, but I got an adorable recipe box out of it! I love how the colors all go together between my recipe cards, the craft tape, and my box. It's hard to see the scrapbook paper, but it is an adorable cupcake themed print - perfect for me! Hope this inspired you to give a face lift to an old recipe box you may have lying around, or one you could find at a local thrift shop.

If you've read my blog this week, you've heard about my "All About Apples" party starting this coming Sunday. (If you haven't read my blog, check out my Zucchini muffin post and my 10 Tricks for Baking a Better Cake post). Fall is just around the corner and I am so excited about the flavors of Fall, I love anything with cinnamon and spice! I actually prefer the apple themed dishes to pumpkin, but all the flavors of Fall are great. I will be devoting all next week to Apples, so come check out my party! Earlier this week I gave you a sneak peek at my party button, and today I'm showing you the schedule for next week! Please come back and check the party out!

Popular Posts