Surprise Recipe Swap #1

HungryLittleGirl

Today I'm kicking off my first post as a participant in the Surprise Recipe Swap.  I joined the group last month and was excited to receive my secret partner of the month. As a member, I will be given a blog each month to check out and replicate one of their recipes. On an assigned day, we all post and reveal who are secret blog partner is! I'm excited to participate in the group, it is great to find new recipes and learn from other bloggers.

I was assigned the blog, Cindy's Recipes and Writings. I really enjoyed going through her posts and reading her work. She writes about all things food, and there is a wide variety of delicious savory and sweet recipes.  Among the recipe posts are some other weekly features including a Sunday Supper series and a Foodie Friends Friday blog link party.  She also has a series on information about different herbs and spices.  I've learned a great deal reading through some of her posts!  

As I looked through the recipes, I was drawn to (of course) a sweet treat. The treat is called a "Funny Cake" and is a PA Dutch treat. Not being from the area, I had never heard of this dessert. But, it is delicious! It's basically a cake baked in a pie. Yum!

I had fun making the Funny Cake, and of course enjoyed eating it! The chocolate that is baked in with the cake is delicious and easy to make.  You can find her original post here.

Below is the recipe.  When I made it, I halved the amount, as this will make two pies. I also decided to use ready made crust instead of making my own.  

Funny Cake Ingredients (makes 2 pies):
  • 2 ready made pie crusts (see original recipe for crust recipe)
     Chocolate layer -
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup cocoa
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp vanilla
     Cake layer - 
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup Crisco
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Funny Cake Instructions:
  • Place ready made crusts in pie pans (see original recipe for crust instructions)
  • Create chocolate layer
    • Mix all ingredients until dissolved

  • Create cake layer
    • Mix sugar and shortening together until creamy
    • Add in egg, vanilla, and milk
    • Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl 
    • Add flour mixture and mix until smooth
  • Divide the cake batter between the pie shells by making 3 mounds of batter in each shell (DON'T spread the batter out)
  • Divide the chocolate mixture in half and pour over the batter
  • Bake at 450F for 10 mins
  • Reduce heat to 350F and bake for around 30 more mins or until cake portion tests done (toothpick inserted comes out clean)
  • Cool on wire rack


If you are a food blogger and would like to be a part of the recipe swap, read about it here. You'll find all the information about the group and how to apply.

Check back Monday as I return to my regular posts with a new cake decorating tutorial!  If you'd like a sneak peek of all my cakes this weekend (smash cake for a friend's little boy, cupcakes for a shower, and a cake for my sister's birthday), don't forget to follow me on my social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).

Popular Posts