Oscar the Grouch Cupcake Topper Tutorial


As per my new posting schedule, today's post is a tutorial. The past four weekends I have had cake or cupcake orders, so I've had plenty of materials for tutorials. I actually didn't have an order this weekend, but have two cakes and a cupcake topper order for next weekend!  I have a sea turtle themed smash cake for a friend's little boy, as well as a cake for my sister's birthday.  I also have an order of cupcake toppers for another birthday party! I decided to start on the toppers this weekend as I had many things to make this coming week in preparation. 

The cupcake topper order was for Oscar the Grouch toppers. I have seen so many cute Sesame Street cake and topper ideas, I'd really been wanting to work on some. I remember watching Sesame Street when I was little, I loved Big Bird. Even though I was working with Oscar the Grouch, I didn't want him to look too grumpy!  I found a picture online of a smiling Oscar and decided to create toppers that resembled that cute picture! The lady that ordered them loved the preview picture I sent her, so I can't wait to see pictures of them at the party!

Here are the steps I used to create these adorable toppers!
  • Print and cut-out two versions of the Oscar the grouch image you want to replicate
  • First I started with some green fondant (to get the right shade, I used a combination of light brown and green)
  • Roll out to 1/8 in thick
  • Cover the back of the printout with just a small amount of Crisco, this will keep the paper from sticking to the fondant when you press down
  • Use an Exacto knife to trace and cut out the Oscar shape, this tend to work best when the fondant is a little hardened.
  • Cut out the eyebrows from the other Oscar printout
  • Dye fondant brown and roll out thin
  • Cut out the eyebrow shape with an Exacto knife
  • Cover the back of the eyebrows with gum glue (fondant dissolved in water)
  • I didn't have a round cutter the right size, so I used a clean lid to one of the larger edible markers (make sure it is for an edible marker) to cut out two circles for eyes
  • Attach the eyes using gum glue
  • Draw on the details of the eye and the mouth using black edible markers
  • Cut out a red circle and mold shape slightly to resemble the tongue
  • Attach the tongue using gum glue

Here's the final look of the topper!


Hope you've enjoyed this tutorial.  Feel free to share on social media! I'll have a tasty recipe to share this Wednesday.  Then on Friday, I will be introducing my new series I'm contributing to another blog.  Check back next Monday as I will have a special cake tutorial to share! As always, feel free to follow me on social media (Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter).  My Instagram followers got a sneak peek of my cupcake toppers!

Popular Posts