Ideas for Thanksgiving: Holiday Cake
All week this week I'm celebrating Thanksgiving early, by hosting a party of ideas for your Holiday get together. Before I tell you about today's idea, though, make sure and check out my link party to share your ideas.
Last year I had my blog going, but I didn't post a lot. One thing I ran into around the Holidays was I would make something for the occasion, but then it seemed too late to share it. I could do a recap post of my holiday ideas, but no one was currently looking for them... BUT, since I didn't share them last year, I have them to start sharing this year. So, really it worked out pretty well! Last year, I made two main treats for our get-together. First off, I made the adorable cupcakes I shared on Monday. Secondly, though, I made a cake for the adults to enjoy as well.
A couple weeks before Thanksgiving I created the fondant toppers for the cornucopia and leaves.
Thanksgiving cake instructions:
- Roll out brown fondant paper thin
- Cut out a triangular shape and wrap around a cone shaped object
- Create pumpkins, squash, zucchini, and apples using orange, yellow, green, and red fondant
- Create stems, leaves, and strings out of green and brown fondant
- Get multiple balls of different colored fondant and place them next to each other
- Roll out the balls of fondant letting the colors overlap, roll out paper thin
- Use a small leaf cookie cutter to cut out multiple leaves, making sure to hit the areas where there are multiple colors
- Ice cooled cake and smooth the buttercream
- Place cornucopia on top with leaves along the bottom of the cake
- Pipe "Happy Thanksgiving," or cut the phrase out of fondant
- Finish the top of the cake by piping a border
Hope you check back tomorrow as I'm posting a round-up of some great desserts, perfect for you Thanksgiving meal!