Celebrating the Derby with Flavors of KY - Bourbon


Saturday is the Kentucky Derby and I'm sharing recipes all week that celebrate the flavors of the beautiful Bluegrass state. I no longer live in Kentucky and definitely miss some of the sights, sounds, and flavors. I decided to pick a few of my favorite recipes that represent my home state.

One of the first flavors that probably comes to mind when you think of Kentucky is of course bourbon. The whiskey can be used in so many recipes including main dishes, sauces, and desserts. I haven't ventured past savory dishes with my bourbon experimentation in the kitchen, but I've enjoyed all of the tasty recipes!

I've used KY bourbon with burgers, pork chops, and salmon - each result was an equally scrumptious course. The vast flavor profile of bourbon pairs nicely with spicy BBQ flavors, as well as sweet maple sauces.




Bourbon Ancho Chile Pork Chops - Pork chops seasoned with an ancho chile rub and covered in a bourbon ancho chile sauce - slightly sweet and perfectly spicy!

Spicy Whiskey BBQ Sliders - Mini burgers soaked in a sweet and spicy sauce.

Bourbon-Maple Pork Chops with Apples - The flavor of the pork chops and apples are enhanced with this sweet sauce starring bourbon and maple.

Maple Bourbon Salmon - Another bourbon and maple sauce that complements salmon with a bit of crunch from pecans.


I can't choose my favorite among these recipes...they are all so different but equally tasty! Check back tomorrow for a round-up of my favorite Southern dishes that you will most likely find at any KY potluck.

Popular Posts