Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends
I decided to stick with that design and make a few adjustments. Below is a simple explanation of how I created these train toppers.
- White fondant
- Black fondant (or black dye)
- Red, blue, and green dye (or colored fondant)
- Gum paste (pieces of fondant or gum paste in a small container of water)
- Paint brush
- Wilton round cookie cutter (largest of set of three - or whatever size you are going for)
- Exacto knife
- Tbs measuring spoon
- Start by kneading and working through a ball of white fondant about the size of a large marble (if using colored fondant for the train then knead that and skip step 2).
- Using a toothpick, add icing color gel (desired color of train) to the fondant and work through with hands.
- Roll out the fondant to around 1/16".
- Using the round cookie cutter, cut out the larger round circle for the train body and set aside.
- Knead through a combination of equal parts black and white fondant to achieve the desired gray color for the face.
- Roll out the fondant to just under 1/16".
- I didn't have a cookie cutter the size I wanted for the face. I found a tbs measuring spoon was just about the perfect size. I did shape it up a little using the Exacto knife as it was a little big. Once you cut out one size you like, let it harden and then it can be a template for future cutouts. Exacto knives work great for cutting around the edge of a shape.
- Dip the pain brush in a little gum glue and cover the back of the gray circle with it.
- Attach the gray circle to the center of the colored circle.
- Roll out a small amount of white fondant to be paper thin.
- Use the exacto knife to cut out the shapes for the eyes (the edible marker lid made a great template for the eye size).
- Attach the eyes to the gray circle using gum glue and the paint brush.
- Allow the topper to dry for a few minutes before moving on.
- Using the marker, color in the pupil for the eyes.
- Draw eyebrows above the eyes
- Using the character as a template, draw the mouth/nose area to complete the face.
- Roll out black fondant about 1/16" thick
- Cut out a rectangle for the smoke stack and attach with gum glue.
- Let dry overnight and then attach to cupcakes with icing.
Hope you enjoyed the tutorial of my Thomas the Tank Engine cupcake toppers!