Southwestern Corn Salsa


As I mentioned in my previous post, I've returned from a brief hiatus from blogging and I'm happy to be back in the kitchen. Earlier this week I shared a delicious french puff recipe that can be easily turned into strawberry shortcake, or a cinnamon sugar treat. Today I'm changing course and sharing a savory recipe. This southwestern inspired appetizer is perfect for a dinner party or summer barbecue.

I try to limit my snacking, but one of my weaknesses is chips and salsa. I love almost any dish with peppers, onions, and spicy flavors! I previously shared a traditional tomato based salsa. This past week I decided to experiment with a different type of salsa. This corn based salsa is lighter than the traditional kind and perfect for summer. The salsa is packed with fresh veggies, delicious southwestern flavors, and it couldn't be easier or quicker to create.

Rather than tomatoes, this salsa recipe base is a southwestern style corn. If you can't find this type of corn at your local grocery, try seasoning regular corn with red peppers and southwestern seasonings. Besides peppers and onions, the other star of this salsa is avocado. I've only recently jumped on the avocado bandwagon, I was reluctant to try it at first. A few months ago, though, I had some fresh avocado in California and discovered how much I enjoyed it! It's a great complement to the other flavors in the salsa.

Southwestern Corn Salsa ingredients:
  • 1 can (~15 oz) southwestern style corn
  • 1/4 red onion, diced
  • 1/2 small avocado, cubed
  • 1/4 green pepper, diced
  • 1 tbs cilantro, chopped
  • Fresh lime juice
  • Dash of salt

Southwestern Corn Salsa instructions:
  • Drain southwestern corn and place in bowl
  • Mix in onion, green pepper, and avocado
  • Add in cilantro, salt, and a few squeezes of lime juice
  • Mix thoroughly 
  • Refrigerate until serving

Popular Posts