Take5 Candy Bar Chex Mix


I don't know about you, but when I'm on a trip I love having something sweet and salty to snack on. Whether it's in the car, or on the plane, I tend to crave a snack. Today's recipe is a perfect sweet and salty treat to take on your next long car ride. My husband and I are heading out soon with my family for vacation, so I wanted to make a snack to share with my family for our plane ride.

One of my (and my husband's) favorite snacks is Chex mix. I decided to make a twist on the typical mix and add a triple punch of flavors to the salty treat. The inspiration behind the flavor combo is the Take5 candy bar. If you haven't heard of this candy bar, it is amazing!! The name comes from the 5 main ingredients making up the candy bar - chocolate, caramel, peanut butter, peanuts, and pretzel. What more could you want?! You may recall I made a Take5 inspired pound cake trifle a little while back. Well, I'm back on this flavor combination, it's just so good!

I mixed chocolate Chex cereal in with pretzels and peanuts. This is a delicious snack on its own, but I went further by adding in melted chocolate, caramel, and peanut butter! The result is a tasty treat reminiscent of the delicious candy bar.

Take5 Chex Mix ingredients:
  • 6 cups Chocolate Chex cereal
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1 small can Le Leche caramel (13 oz)
  • 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 3 cups small pretzel twists
  • 1 cup salted peanuts
  • 1/8 cup butter

Take5 Chex mix directions:
  • In a large microwaveable bowl, mix  together the Chocolate Chex Mix, pretzels, and peanuts
  • Melt chocolate and pour over Chex mix; mix thoroughly
  • Pour can of caramel in a microwave safe bowl and heat around 30 secs
  • Pour over Chex mix; mix thoroughly
  • Heat up peanut butter and pour over Chex mix; mix thoroughly
  • Melt 1/8 cup of butter and pour over the top of the mixture
  • Heat in microwave for 4 mins, remove and stir once a minute
  • Cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper (or wax paper)
  • Pour out Take5 Chex Mix over cookie sheets and spread thin to let dry


I hope you enjoy this sweet and salty combo! I can't wait to make some more and head out on vacation next Sunday. I will still have my typical posts next week (Monday cake design, Tuesday's blog link party, Wednesday recipe, Friday miscellaneous) as I've scheduled them out ahead of time. I may be a little slow to respond to comments or questions, though. Hope you come back and check out a cookie recipe round-up this Friday!

Don't forget to link up to my Sweet Tooth Tuesdays link party, it's going on through Friday night!

Popular Posts