Cherry Coke for Dessert


Today's recipe may be the simplest I have ever posted.  It has just TWO ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes to prepare.  This cake does not include eggs, milk, or oil.  The secret ingredient?  Coca Cola!  I've seen Coke cake before, my husband loves it at Cracker Barrel.  It's usually the consistency somewhere between a cake and brownie. I had seen a few recipes online with lots of steps and ingredients.  Things have been a little hectic lately with job hunting, and I was just looking for a quick dessert to surprise my husband with.  I kept looking around online, and found a recipe for a simple Coke cake using just coke and chocolate cake mix! 

I found the recipe at Kirbie's Craving and decided to make a couple adjustments.  The first change was I decided to go with cupcakes, it seemed quicker and the recipe had mentioned it might help as the cake tended to be crumbly when cutting slices.  I also decided to go for Cherry Coke, one of my husband's favorites! I wasn't sure how strong the cherry flavor would come through, but thought it might be a nice twist to a more traditional coke cake.

My next step was to decide what I should top the cupcakes with.  I'm not a big fan of chocolate icing on chocolate cupcakes, too much chocolate for me!  I know that may be strange, but I've never been a huge chocolate fan.  I like a little, but with something else to complement it.  I was looking through icing recipes, but wanted something a little lighter.  I was trying to think of a flavor that would complement the cherry as well as the chocolate when it hit me - ice cream! 

The cupcakes were a big hit with my husband.  The cherry flavor wasn't too strong, but definitely detectable.  The ice cream was a wonderful combination with the flavors.  You could even turn it into a sundae by adding chocolate sauce and a cherry on top!


Cherry Coke Cake Ingredients:
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
  • 12 oz Cherry Coke

Cherry Coke Cake Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
  3. Mix cherry coke into cake mix until there are no lumps.
  4. Bake for 16-20 minutes.
  5. After cooling, top with ice cream and any additional toppings and enjoy!

 



Popular Posts