140 Calorie Chocolate Cupcake


I'm excited to start a couple new series of posts on my blog.  First, is one coming up this weekend.  I'm starting a "Savory Saturdays" feature to my blog.  Almost all my posts have been desserts, but I've been experimenting some with savory dishes as well.  So check out my blog on Saturdays for new dinner ideas, and twists on traditional ones.  I just tried out my recipe last night for this Saturday's post, and it was a hit with my husband.

My other new feature is one I'm starting today. Can you believe Thanksgiving is just two weeks away?! If you are like most people, the start of the Holiday season can be a time when weight gain becomes hard to fight. Not only are there fattening desserts and treats around every corner, but its also cold and harder to stay active.  Thats why between now and New Years Eve, I am periodically posting some healthy alternatives to your favorite desserts.  These treats make it easier to not completely cut out all desserts (for anyone like me with a major sweet tooth), but also don't pack on the pounds.  I've found recipes for a variety of desserts including chocolate cake, banana pudding and a cinnamon apple crumble.

Today's recipe is for a reduced fat, low calorie chocolate cupcake. This cupcake doesn't have quite the same level of flavor or taste as my favorite cupcake recipe, but it contains a fraction of the calories.  A traditional chocolate cupcake with buttercream icing can have 450-500 calories, or more. This revised recipe only has around 140 calories per cupcake.

The reduction in calories doesn't come with a reduction in size.  The cupcake is a traditional size, but has considerable less fat and calories by replacing milk and butter with low fat sour cream, replacing icing with a powdered sugar dusting, and reducing the amount of egg, cocoa powder, and sugar. The cake is light, almost like a sponge cake.  It is good alone, but can be enhanced with strawberries, raspberries, or fresh fruit to give added flavor.  A low fat yogurt would be another great compliment to this cake, without racking up the calories.

This recipe may not be what you enjoy best and want to use for special occasions, but it is a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth during the week, without the extra calories.  The cake is as light as it is guilt free!

The recipe originally comes from a website, CDKitchen.  You will notice it calls out a slightly higher calorie amount.  The recipe baked it as a cake with 9 servings.  I decided to make it as cupcakes, and was able to stretch the batter to 12 cupcakes.  So I found the new amount of calories, which is just around 140!


Cupcake Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
  • egg
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Cupcake Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
  3. Beat on low until fully combined.
  4. Place 12 liners in cupcake pan.
  5. Bake for around 18-20 minutes.
Hope you enjoy this healthier alternative to chocolate cake!  Check back soon for a mouth watering easy apple crumble dessert that is not only healthy, but cooks in the crock pot!

Popular Posts