Winger's Amazing Sauce



Normally I blog about sweet dishes, but today's topic is a savory treat.  Almost weekly my husband laments about the closing of his favorite chicken finger restaurant, Winger's here in KY.  The nearest location is over 1,000 miles away, so it's not something we can get anymore.  I was looking online and found that you can order the sauce.  I was going to surprise him with ordering some, but then I decided to look around online for a possible copycat recipe.

I searched on Pinterest and found a recipe for the Winger's Amazing sauce!  The sauce recipe is found on the website Favorite Family Recipes.  My husband was very excited that I found it, but I think a tiny bit skeptical. The sauce seemed almost too easy and simple to make.

I tried it out tonight, though, and according to my husband it is spot on! I never ate at Winger's to compare it, but love the sauce! It is a great mix of sweet and spicy.  We tried it on crispy chicken strips, but it could easily be incorporated on wings as well.  Try this simple recipe and you may find a new favorite chicken sauce that will impress your friends and family!

Here's the quick and easy recipe -

Ingredients:
1/3 cup Frank's Original Red Hot sauce
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbs water

Yes that's all that's needed!

Directions:

1. Heat the ingredients until all the brown sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally. I let it simmer, but
    not come to a rolling boil.
2. Take the sauce off the heat and let it sit until it gets to room temperature, stirring frequently.
3. Cook the chicken while the sauce cools.  I just baked Tyson breaded chicken strips, but frying
   chicken strips in oil would give it the truest Winger's flavor.
4. Cover the strips with the sauce

We actually just dipped the chicken in the sauce instead of covering since we didn't know how well we would like the sauce.  We LOVED it though. We had quite a bit left, only making it for two people.  But we are gladly saving it and can't wait to use it again!




Popular Posts